Thursday, January 31, 2008

Could've used these 8 years ago

I might have done a bit better in college with the help of all of these sites. I really loved surfing around on the sites 4 students and can easily see how they might be helpful in reference work. Even though many of them are still in beta form and may change or disappear eventually, they are great for short-term work when you need to access documents and other files from more than one location or wish to share them with others.

I would love to have this list available in our education pages on the krl.org. I think many students who are using our site would find them helpful. And I wish we as staff had known about the Zoho-type sites before we had a word-processing computer at our branch. Even now, the sites with office programs will enable our patrons to create documents on the web, which our library computers currently don't.

I personally liked the looks of Backpack. I have mentioned before that I'm a hopeless list-maker. I like the way this site helps to organize both checklists and notes with images and weblinks all in a visually pleasing way. My husband, a college student and ESL teacher was pretty into some of these links too. He's going to share the note-taking and school ones with his WWU cohort, like mySchoolog and Notecentric.

Only thing I'm wondering - with most of these being free, are the creators of these sites getting paid? I don't see a lot of advertisements on the webpages themselves. Or are they just hoping to get bought out by the bigger web corporations?

No comments: