Saturday, January 26, 2008

wikis are hard! (my whining rant)

Okay, I finally did it. After putting off the actual modification of the official KRL wiki for as long as I could I bit the bullet and added the regular library events for our branch. Why did I pick that, you might ask? Well, all of the obvious things like a branch photo and hours were already taken. And I was feeling particularly lazy and didn't want to bother with attempting to upload a photo. I am extremely impressed by those who did manage to make page links or upload photos. But there's no way that I would be able to accomplish such a thing in under the half-hour time limit. (Yeah, yeah, I'll read The Little Engine That Could again tomorrow, stat!). After I was done I surfed around on the other branches pages and was really blown away. We've got some really talented people here. One thing, though, how are there eight MLS librarians at Bainbridge??? Holy cow. I'm feeling some MLS envy on Poulsbo's behalf at the moment.

So, done and done. I'm moving on and probably won't bother with wikis again, quite honestly. But I can imagine that wikis might be a fun way for libraries to have a more interactive reader's advisory or enable us to upload our own branches' library events. We'll see...

In other news, Poulsbo branch is supposed to be getting our self-checkout machines next week!! Maybe one of our intrepid staff members will upload a photo and/or some quick tips about those when we finally get to try them out.

No comments: